I'm going to be starting a new part time job at a Rehabilitation center here in town and am super excited about it. It is the type of place that I have really aspired to work since I started working as a Speech Pathologist. I will work with children but in the future may be able to widen my experience to include adults, too. I will also work with children under 3 (in the schools it was 3 and up). It is a very family-friendly work environment and they will completely work around my schedule and let me work during the girl's school hours and have no problem with me leaving for maternity leave in March and returning in the fall. It is such a great opportunity.
If you know anyone in college with an undecided major or who may be interested in health or education, let them know how great the demand is for Speech Pathologists. They always told us in college that finding jobs would be easy but I never really grasped it until the past few years when the rest of the world is having such a hard time finding a job and as an SLP if you submit your resume, you're going to get a call back for an interview. Most of my interviews have also been more of a "When can you start?" type of interview than a real interview, too. Our work environments are so diverse with the choice to work in schools, private practice, nursing homes, home health, early childhood intervention, hospitals, etc... The demand is only becoming greater with many baby boomers beginning to retire and not enough new Speech Pathologists to fill the void. Just wanted to share my thoughts on a field that I sort of chose randomly but couldn't be happier that I did.
Tuesday, September 28, 2010
New job!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Trust me, I know this is true.
We have a policy in our Recruitment Department that if a licensed SLP applies, we are required to call them back in less than 24-hours to schedule an interview. We check every night to see if one applied.
Good choice, indeed, girlfriend!
And congrats on the new role!
That is awesome!! So glad you found something more like what you've been wanting and so flexible with hours. I'm sure the timing couldn't have been better either with Corry focusing on the store now. Very happy for you.
I just saw open needs for an SLP with my agency too, so you must be right!
I've always felt the same about nursing- although the NICU specialty has been a little difficult to get hours with lately- I'm sure if I was willing to actually become a hospital employee, it wouldn't be as hard though.
Wow! Congrats on the new position! I am glad that they will work around your schedule too.
Post a Comment