Thursday, September 02, 2010

Clifford spends the night

Autumn's class is passing around Clifford (you know, the big red dog) in a basket for everyone to take home for a night. With him, is a book in which the instructions say to write a story and draw a picture if you like. He also came with 4 books for us to read that night. On the night that Autumn brought him home, we also had a meeting for all Kindergarten parents and cheerleading practice. So, when she got home we got to work. She helped me write a story about Clifford going to Sea World with her for her 6th birthday (our plans for her 6th bday).
The parents had completely drawn the pictures for their children on the two people's stories in the book before her. My way of thinking is that this is her homework so I try to let her do as much as she can. She thought of the story and I reworded it to make it flow. I then traced Clifford and a dolphin (I have no artistic skill) and Autumn traced over my tracing with a black marker, colored everything, and added drawings to the picture. It drives me crazy when kids bring back these perfect drawings or creations that they didn't help with at all.
To add to that thought, the day before, Autumn had said to me, "Mom, you are not going to believe the drawings these parents are drawing in the Clifford book. They are artists or something. I don't think you can do it that good." In the end, she was proud of our work and thought it was better than the other parent's drawings!



2 comments:

Julie said...

Super Super cute!
I keep waiting for some real homework, but so far nothing. Just nightly reading.
So does this mean that you guys are headed out to SA for her birthday?! Yay!

goddess95 said...

Nice drawing mom!! Good job! What a cute idea to bring Clifford home!