Thursday, February 19, 2009

Passing along a good idea!

I saw a really good idea on Melissa's blog that I've been waiting to use and today was the day. In short, she had made a treasure map with all of the places on it that they had to go that day with a prize at the end.

We had a few errands to run today and I knew it was going to be difficult to get them all done without a little extra incentive for the girls. So I drew out our own treasure map and it worked like a charm. Autumn was so excited about it and the entire time we were out I only had to mention the "map" and all whining ceased. Shelby was a little young yet to fully grasp the concept but she still understands what being good and getting a prize means and complied pretty well.


Please excuse my elementary school drawing skills...my children are still young enough that they don't notice! I explained it as a treasure hunt for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, with the pot of gold being a prize from Target. So we started at home, went to the library to drop off a movie, went to Randall's for groceries, dropped the groceries off at home, went to Fed Ex, earned a lollipop for good behavior, and then our last stop was Target where I let them pick out a prize $5 or under. They both chose a Little Petshop pet. Who knew a little bitty toy like that could make two girls so happy?

Autumn also added to my rainbow since I had forgotten black and brown?? Like Melissa had her son do, Autumn crossed each destination off after we had finished at that place.

The map was a great visual for Autumn and when she would ask where we were going next, she could answer that herself. She still likes to ask the question, though!

So excited about their new toys, which were well worth $5 with a peaceful day out running errands. We'll definitely be doing that again! Thanks Melissa!

4 comments:

o said...

LOVE IT! I will have to try it. Today would have been a good day because our last stop was CEC and they were sooo impatient at the other stops!

Melissa Beth said...

SO glad it worked for you too! I am going to give some time to do it again... maybe around Easter... like an Easter egg hunt, perhaps?

We're gonna make these kids enjoy running errands if it's the last thing we do, by golly.

It's funny how the Mom o' Boys thinks PIRATE TREASURE MAP... and the Mom o' Girls thinks RAINBOW POT OF GOLD. So funny.

Hmmm... Wonder what Julie will do... Come on, Jules!

Melissa Beth said...

Oh, and I moved my blog. FINALLY.

The new link to the treasure map post is:

http://tomakeashortstorylong.blogspot.com/2009/02/finalizing-preparations-matey.html

Anonymous said...

Yep I do stuff like that for other things but never tried for errands, I will do that, with Haley's issues it will work wonders just like a social story but in a map form, anything visual is great at this age and helps them know when they will be done and what to expect next! Thanks for this cool idea!
Love it!!!