I just read a couple of articles about Kelly Preston and breastfeeding and really like that someone in the spotlight is talking about it and normalizing it. The article is here:
http://www.bestforbabes.org/kelly-preston-is-still-breastfeeding-16-month-old-benjamin-finds-it-healing
and another article goes on to the benefits of extended breastfeeding: http://www.bestforbabes.org/kelly-preston-extended-breastfeeding
There were some really negative comments on the first article that just go to show that more attention needs to be brought to extended breastfeeding. I am finally coming around to it, unintentionally I guess you could say, with my third child. I stopped bfing Autumn at 11 weeks, Shelby at 11 months, and with Carly we are still going at 13 months. I really never even considered continuing it with Shelby. I switched her to a bottle of cow's milk that she drank from for about a month and then she never touched any milk again.
I don't want to introduce the bottle to Carly at a year (especially since they are supposed to be getting off of the bottle at a year), she won't drink any type of milk from a cup, and it is so hard to switch to something you know isn't as beneficial for your child. I am more educated this go around and maybe just acknowledge the benefits more, too. Not to say that anyone who doesn't breastfeed or doesn't do extended breastfeeding is making a mistake (I try not to ever judge other's situations and decisions with formula vs. bf). I've done differently with all of my children- I just feel like this is the right thing for us now and it can't be denied with all of the positive research.
I do feel very strongly that breastfeeding needs to be normalized in our society beyond the first few months. So I guess you could say that this little blog post and links to the articles are my small effort in doing that. :)
Thursday, April 19, 2012
Breastfeeding
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Great post! It's a tough subject because it's so personal for Moms and it's hard because people feel judged on both sides of the coin.
I agree with you - I bfed both of my boys for at least a year, L for 14 months...J for 12 mths...he was just really "done" at that point. I switched straight to the sippy cup but had to warm the milk for (longer than I'd like to admit, ha!)... :)
I hope to do the same with my 3rd. It's hard, it's time-consuming and it's limiting. But the positive effects for the baby & for Mama are just so wonderful & natural!
Very well said.
Funny how not only is each child different, but our parenting changes and our confidence grows a little each time too.
And I agree that it needs to be normalized publicly - breastfeeding in general as well as extended breastfeeding. It's what God intended for goodness sakes!
Love this post! Good job momma--do what is best for you. People are always so critical of everyone else. Way to go with the links and your honest opinion!
Post a Comment