Sunday, May 17, 2009

Autumn's Dance Recital

Autumn had her very first dance recital after taking dance since last June. It was actually a dance "showcase" and not a recital. Her dance teacher was diagnosed with lung cancer in February and has been undergoing chemotherapy. She decided to cancel the recital, but still wanted all of her dancers to show off what they've been learning all year. So all of the costume orders were cancelled and there were no stage backdrops or much in the way of props. She did order little skirts and hairbows for the little ones and a few different tops and tutus for the different dances so they would all have a little something special to wear. I was very impressed with how well Ms. Kim was able to pull it together under the circumstances. Many people would have just completely quit the idea.
Anyways, onto the recital...Autumn and her other classmates were so incredibly cute and did really well on the stage. I was actually really impressed with Autumn, too. She often complains about going to dance and says that she doesn't like it and she was also running instead of leaping during rehearsal. We had a few days to practice at home, though, and she did great "jumping over mud puddles" during the recital. I had better relish these videos, though, because she still says she is done with dance.

Entrance with shasees and leaps (Autumn is the last girl to go) and then getting into position for their dance...notice Autumn in her friend Emily's spot at first and how they keep trying to bump each other out of the spot!

The beginning of their dance...Autumn is in the back left but I really couldn't get her from this angle.

Corry took the camera for the remainder of the dance and was able to get a better shot.

Pictures before & after the recital...



Emily, Shelby, & Autumn

Autumn & Emily




Autumn's first time to really wear make-up, mascara and all! That was weird to put on!

Autumn's first flowers ever! She was so happy to get them and I think would have been crushed if she hadn't gotten them. They are now in a vase in her room on her dresser. So much for sharing with all of us to enjoy ;) She says with them in her room she is now a princess.

4 comments:

Casssandra Fulsom said...

awww she's soo stinkin cute!

Melissa Beth said...

Aw, that's really cute. She is so tall and lean. She should not give up on dance just yet. Well, there's always volleyball... but you can't wear a dress to do that. It will be interesting to see her find her "thing." In the meantime... these memories are PRECIOUS.

Julie said...

Maybe she'll be interested again after a little break? I mean she was really very good- I don't think it's time for her to throw in the towel just yet. But then, I think all little girls should be dancers or gymnasts.
I think this performance was perfect for their age- I'm not into the overdone costumes, make-up, props, backdrops etc. I feel like that's a bit much for 4 yr olds, so I think this was great!!
She is a princess- flowers or no flowers!!

Keese Klan said...

SOOOO cute!! Where does she take dance from?