Shelby had a mishap at the park yesterday. She fell off the side of a slide, at the bottom of it, and landed on her hand/wrist. It took a few minutes to figure out exactly what was hurting her but finally she was able to tell me it was her hand. We left the park and headed home to assess the damage. I put ice on it and gave her tylenol and after about an hour of it still hurting her I called her doctor. They called in an order for an x-ray at our local hospital. We took Autumn over to her friend Emily's house and Shelby and I headed off to get an x-ray. It had stopped hurting her by the time we left and while we waited and I almost cancelled the appointment thinking that it was probably nothing since it wasn't hurting her. It was a tiny bit swollen but you really had to compare hand-to-hand to see that it was swollen. I kept thinking about other people who said their child didn't seem to be bothered by broken bones and decided to stay just to be safe. They took the x-ray and came back and said that her wrist was fractured and they would have to send us over to the ER to get a splint on it. I was honestly shocked that it was fractured because I really thought I was just being a paranoid mom, luckily that worked to my advantage this time around! They put a splint on her wrist and arm and put it in a sling and told us to make an appointment with an Orthopedist. I called and made an appointment this morning and they will see her on Monday and I assume will put some type of cast on it. Luckily it's really not hurting her too bad. The only time she complains is after she wakes up and the Tylenol has worn off. She also detests the sling and will not keep it on. She can take it off by herself so I guess I'm going to have to resort to trying to pin it on her clothes and put something on that she can't get off! I can tell it's swelling around her thumb and really needs to be up in the sling. Here's a picture of her this morning...
Yesterday at the park, before falling....


3 comments:
Poor Baby and poor mommy- getting her to keep that sling on is not going to be fun :-(
Hope all goes well at the ortho doc. Maybe she'll get a super cool cast that she'll be proud to show off. Keep me updated.
Not sure if I ever told you about TJ's recent mishap (planned on blogging it but you see how little I'm doing that lately). Anyway, he had to get staples to the back of the head. I'll tell you all about it next time we talk.
Poor thing. It is crazy how broken bones do not seem to hurt the little ones as much as adults! Jace would have never worn anything he could get off either, so we had to keep him in a cast the entire 12 weeks, not fun!
Aww, good luck making her wear it. Jack fractured his ankle at about 18 months jumping off the couch... you have to follow that Mommy instinct and get it checked out. Good job, Mama! Can't wait to see pics of the cast!
Post a Comment