I think we are finally making progress with Shelby, eating, and reflux and it's so nice to see her eating like a normal person! I think she has probably had reflux her whole life, it just wasn't obvious enough for me to get her treatment in the beginning.
To summarize (to the best of my memory), she spit up probably more than normal as a baby, had crying episodes like she was in pain for several months of her life that were probably related to reflux but we didn't know at the time, has had serious teeth enamel erosion issues, has giant inflamed tonsils, has noticeably gotten really pale after eating chocolate or other acidic foods for at least the past year, and for the last year has actually been able to tell us that her heart or throat hurts. We also took her to the allergist almost a year ago and he suggested reflux based on all of her symptoms. Our last pediatrician's suggestions were to watch her diet and give her Pepto or Mylanta when it is bothering her. So, we have been watching her diet and trying to limit acidic foods and drinks. She won't drink any of the over-the-counter medications so she still didn't have any form of relief when she needed it.
After a few months of her saying that her heart hurt every time I asked her, and little to no appetite at lunch and often dinner, I found a new pediatrician and I really like him. He asked lots of questions, listened, wasn't in a hurry, and was very personable with the girls and me. He prescribed Miralax (for constipation because Shelby doesn't go for a couple of weeks sometimes) and Prevacid (a strawberry-flavored pill that melts in her mouth). She takes the Miralax with no problem and it has really helped. She really doesn't like the Prevacid but takes it because she knows it makes her feel better. It hasn't completely wiped out her heartburn but it must be a lot better because she is eating three meals a day now plus snacks. It's such a relief to see her eating and feeling better!
Thursday, December 30, 2010
Gains for Shelby
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow, that is great to hear. Poor thing-she's had a lot going on for her little life. I'm glad she's eating better. Kayla is the same way too. Mia weighs 9 lbs less than she does. Every once in a while we get Kayla to take those PediaSure drinks-and it seems to help her appetite. For pills, I try to cut them in half and have them eat them a half a time, so it doesn't seem so bad for them.
Makes all the difference in the world to have a pedi that really listens and will take time with you. Glad to hear she's feeling better and I hope she continues to improve. I've seen her pale/green look after eating chocolate so I can certainly understand the concern. It must make her feel yuck! Poor girl!
Post a Comment