Tuesday, March 03, 2009

An uneventful day turned fun

I woke up this morning not wanting to do all of the stuff I needed to do- you know, like grocery shopping, laundry, the usual pick-up around the house. So, I talked Corry into taking the day off and we went out to lunch, took the girls to the Bayou Wildlife Park in Dickinson, and then went to Froberg's in Alvin to buy some fruit & vegetables (that at least covered a portion of my grocery shopping!).

We hadn't been to the Wildlife Park in about a year and a half and it seemed like they had quite a few more animals. I thought Corry wasn't going to let us go in at first when he found out that it was $16 an adult and $8 a child (3 yrs & up). The kids were all jazzed up for it, though, and we had driven all that way so Corry handed over the dough to get in.

Corry had never been there and didn't know what to expect. He ended up enjoying himself, though, and was impressed at the number of different animals. The kids had a blast with all of it. Autumn fell in love with the baby goats and said one of them said it wanted us to take it home. There was also a brand new baby giraffe that had just been born last night. I couldn't get enough pictures of that! There is nothing sweeter than a baby giraffe, especially one less than a day old!


Just getting there...


Oddly, both Autumn & Shelby kind of match their animals!
Although, Shelby in no way matches a deer physically- in terms of moving gracefully. We always joke that we should have named her Grace to help offset her clumsiness.


Autumn loved petting the stinky goats! Shelby did until they started trying to eat her shirt (see picture below). She must have gotten food on it or something! After a couple of them yanked on her shirt she had nothing to do with them and wanted up in our arms!

Shelby hesitantly reaching to touch another goat...this one was guarding her babies and didn't care about Shelby's shirt!

My one photo with the kids on the tram...

Autumn did great with all of the animals, even the crazy ostriches. Better than me at least!

The baby giraffe...





This big guy was HUNGRY!



This was the first time I have ever seen this disgusting potbelly pig standing up...makes sense, though. He has to at least get up to eat!
One of the baby goats on the pig! Usually we are in and out of the goat petting area but they were really entertaining us today.

The oh so photogenic alligator...seriously, he doesn't take a bad picture.

I took lots of pictures of the animals this time because Autumn has a photo album with pictures of the animals at the park from last time. The girls love looking at it so it will be fun to print out all of our new animal pictures to add to it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

OK, so I just left a comment that had ten million typos. I'm trying again . . .

WOW, what fun! I can't wait to do stuff like this. That's super cool that you guys picked a random family day too. :o) Oh, your hair is so long and pretty . . . I'm jealous!

Anonymous said...

I am jealous too, Joel always say I can't take off when I ask him to on days like that, Kudos to Corry :)
What a great day :) They are only little for a short time and you have to savor the moments when you get a chance too.

Julie said...

The goat on the pig- priceless!!! That would have made the trip for me. Hilarious.

Julie said...

Another thing- a newborn baby giraffe is much bigger than I imagined- who knew?